The South West Nuclear Hub brings together a network of multi-disciplinary academics spanning numerous departments including Physics, Engineering and Earth Sciences. Here are the latest research papers published by this community.
- Flewitt P.E.J., - Structural Integrity Challenges Related to Long-Term Operation - Materials and Methodology Challenges for Future Nuclear Power Plant - RA Ainsworth and PEJ Flewitt
- Warren, A. D., Griffiths I.G., Flewitt P. E. J. - Precipitation within localised chromium-enriched regions in a Type 316H austenitic stainless steel. In: Journal of Materials Science, Vol 53, Issue 8, pp6183-6187.
- Darnbrough, J. E., Harker, R. M., Griffiths, I., Wermeille, D., Lander, G. H. & Springell, R. Interaction between U/UO2 bilayers and hydrogen studied by in-situ X-ray diffraction In : Journal of Nuclear Materials. 502, p.9-19.
- Šavija, B., Smith, G. E., Heard, P. J., Sarakinou, E., Darnbrough, J. E., Hallam, K. R., Schlangen, E. & Flewitt, P. E. J.. Modelling deformation and fracture of Gilsocarbon graphite subject to service environments. In : Journal of Nuclear Materials. 499, p.18-28. Open Access.
- Banos, A., Jones, C. P. & Scott, T. B. The effect of work-hardening and thermal annealing on the early stages of the uranium-hydrogen corrosion reaction. In : Corrosion Science. 131, p.147-155. Open Access.
- Martin, P., Connor, D., Payton, O., Leal Olloqui, M., Keatley, A. & Scott, T. Development and validation of a high-resolution mapping platform to aid in the public awareness of radiological hazards. In : Journal of Radiological Protection.
- Keatley, A. C., Martin, P. G., Hallam, K. R., Payton, O. D., Awbery, R., Carvalho, F., Oliveira, J. M., Silva, L., Malta, M. & Scott, T. B. Source identification of uranium-containing materials at mine legacy sites in Portugal. In : Journal of Environmental Radioactivity. 183, p.102-111.
- MAINTAiN, Multi-scAle INTegrity assessment for Advanced high-temperature Nuclear systems, funded by EPSRC. Solid Mechanics Research Group (SMRG) will lead this project, working with Universities of Oxford, Liverpool, and Manchester and a number of industrial partners notably, Culham Centre for Fusion Energy, EDF Energy, Wood, and Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
- Improved Understanding and Modelling of Advanced Joining Technologies. SMRG will be a partner of Frazer-Nash Consultancy on behalf of Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS).
- ICON (Intelligent Control for efficient Nuclear applications), funded by Innovate UK. Dr Guido Herrmann from the Department of Mechanical Engineering is the project lead, working with industrial partners Moltex Energy and Altran to design a wireless nuclear control system.
Philip Thomas, Professor of Risk Management, recently gave a presentation to the US Federal Emergency Management Agency showcasing his pioneering J-Value method for balancing the cost of a safety measure against the increase in life expectancy it achieves.
This research was released in November 2017 in Management of Nuclear Risk Issues: Environmental, Financial and Safety (NREFS) and is also being pursued for practical application by the Institute for Radiological Protection and Nuclear Safety in France, the International Atomic Energy Agency and the UK Health and Safety Executive.