The Design and Manufacturing Futures laboratory, based at the University of Bristol, is researching and creating the tools and technologies of tomorrow, providing game-changing capability for the design, manufacture, operation and disposal of next generation products and machines. While very often based on a virtual prototype (inc. multi-physics) a digital twin has:
- a role beyond a particular stage of the lifecycle (intent);
- a digital connection to the physical (data);
- a regular process for twinning (data + synchronisation);
- an ability to add-value beyond the physical (diagnosis or prognosis)
- a feedback loop to the physical.