Chairman Graham Smith,
Secretary David Scurr, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, NG7 2RD, Tel: 0115 846 6276, firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer Keith Hallam, University of Bristol, Interface Analysis Centre, School of Physics, HH Wills Physics Laboratory, Tyndall Avenue, Bristol, BS8 1TL, Tel: 0117 331 1173, email@example.com
Committee Members Morgan Alexander, Sarah Fearn, David Geeson, Paul Mack, David Morgan, Simon Morton, Emily Smith, Alex Shard, David Sykes, John Watts.
The UKSAF would like to announce the Young Surface Analyst of the Year Competition 2016. This will be held at the UKSAF Summer Meeting on the 8th July 2016 at University College, Dublin.
There will be two prizes awarded at the end of the UKSAF meeting, as follows:
- The Seah Award £250 Best Overall (Oral + Poster) Presentation
- The Castle Award £150 Best Poster Presentation
(The winner of the Seah Award will not be eligible to win the Castle Award.)
All aspects of the Competition, including abstracts, presentations and posters, will be assessed by a panel of judges. All finalists invited to give a presentation at the UKSAF Meeting will receive reimbursement of their travelling and accommodation expenses for the Meeting up to a maximum of £100 (receipts required), and their Meeting fee will be waived.
The competition will have the following format and rules:
- The analyst must be UNDER 30 years of age on the 30th June 2016.
- The analyst can be from either an industrial or an academic institution and does not have to be a current member of the UKSAF.
- The analyst MUST be responsible for most of the measurements reported in the presentation and poster.
- The analyst should submit an abstract (250-500 words) by midnight on 20th May 2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org for evaluation by the panel of judges. Receipt of the abstract will be acknowledged. From the abstracts submitted, the judges will invite up to six candidates to submit a full poster and give an oral presentation at the UKSAF Meeting. Please do not submit an abstract if you will not be able to attend the UKSAF Meeting in Surrey.
- The invited finalists will each prepare a poster (max. size A0) for the July UKSAF Meeting.
- The invited finalists will submit an electronic version of the content of their poster in advance of the Meeting. The purpose of this is to give the judges time to familiarise themselves with the content of the poster prior to the Meeting, allowing the best use of the limited time available for judging at the Meeting itself. The file format can be Adobe Acrobat *.pdf or Microsoft Powerpoint *.ppt, *.pptx or Microsoft Word *.doc, *.docx, and should be received by the Chairman of the Judges by 24th June 2016. The layout of this advance copy is not important but the content (text and images) should be essentially the same as will be used in the final poster.
- The actual poster should be on display by 9:30 a.m. on the morning of the Meeting. The analyst should be present at the poster from this time until the main Meeting begins at 10:00 am to allow the judging to start and the posters to be seen by arriving UKSAF attendees. The analysts should also be at their posters during the lunch break. All posters should be removed at the end of the meeting.
- The analyst will give a short oral presentation (4 minute talk plus 1 minute for questions) at the July 2016 UKSAF meeting. The ability to keep to the allotted time will form part of the assessment procedure. All attendees at the meeting will be encouraged to ask questions.